Monday, August 30, 2010

CATS THE MUSICAL in Manila!!

I knew I shouldn't miss Cats, the second longest-running musical in Broadway history, next to Phantom of the Opera at that. Prior, I wanted to see it because it sounded that big and critiques are making a fuss about it. And so I beat the odds and went to see it on its last day. 

 outside CCP

I bought a ticket a day before, that was Saturday of last week. I knew that was my last chance and wouldn't want to let it slip me by. On a frustrating note, Orchestra tickets were sold half the price three days before I got mine. It is always, always a must to monitor ticket price for good seats of steal deal!

I got in Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) on time. The musical went, I was watching and was enjoying the first few minutes and just like most people who came, I wanted to see Lea Salonga.

My enthusiasm to see her perform on stage when I heard that Cats will be shown here was rather banal. I would still want to see it even if it wasn't Lea Salonga. But then again, it became a totally different story as days numbered --I found myself fancying to see the Lea Salonga.

Towards the end of the first act, she came out and sang a part of Memory which was really short. Then came the second half which I enjoyed the more. The second half was far way colorful than the first. And again, new cats were introduced from time to time and it was entertaining to know about each cat through worthy of LSS songs which played on my mind even after the show!

Lea Salonga played Grizabella, a Glamour Cat who lost her clout and shine and now a shabby grey cat yearning acceptance from the rest of Jellicle Cats. 

The song Memory tells her story, relieving her glamour days in mind. Let me quote the known lines:

....Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again....  

Macavity the Mystery Cat left a mark in my mind. I couldn't remember how he looks, thus, his name stuck to my head. I wonder why, was it the song used to introduced him?

 My favorite cat of them all is Magical Mr. Mistoffelees!!!!!  

WHICH MADE ME REMEMBER: Too bad, I didn't see Les Miserables and Cinderella from years ago! Anyhoo, I wonder what's next! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for leaving lovely comments. Link your blog and I will try to visit each and every one of them. Follow my blog and I'll follow back. :)

With love,
Nina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...